Physical signs and symptoms of burnout
- Feeling Tired
- Frequent sickness
- Aches and Pains including muscles and headaches
- Change in eating- eating more or less
- Change in sleeping- sleeping more or less
Emotional signs and symptoms of burnout
- Feelings of worthlessness/hopelessness/helplessness
- Loss of motivation
- Cynical outlook
Behavioral signs and symptoms of burnout
- Stepping down from responsibilities
- Unhealthy coping skills: Alcohol, drugs, food
- Easily angered
- Change in schedule: coming to work late or leaving early
Please note that a lot of these symptoms can be like depression. If you have, had had, or suspect depression you should talk to your therapist, psychiatrist, primary care physician, or advanced practice provider. If you are unsure if you are feeling burn out or depression also reach out.
If you notice these signs or symptoms in a family member or coworker do not be afraid to check in with them, see how they are holding up. Sometimes some concern, a nice lunch, or a chat can go a long way. If you yourself have concerns, remember you are not alone and it is okay to seek help.
Signs and Symptoms referenced from Helpguide.org. Feel free to follow the link below for further information.