I will be joining Mythothon Round 4 hosted by Foxes and Fairytales. The Theme for this round is Arthorian Legends. So we pick a magic user, the knights of the round table, and then on to save Camelot.
Not only did I use the prompts but I challenged myself to use books I already have at home to fulfill the prompt. If I did not have something I decided to buy used as weddings do not pay for themselves!
For some of my prompts I left myself some options, I do not want to be too rigid as I want this to be fun, and not too time consuming as I am still wedding planning and studying my social work exam.
So onward to my choices!
- Merlin — Read a book with a witch or wizard.- Tempests and Slaughter (The Numair Chronicles #1) by Tamora Pierce.
I know I have been trying to read this book for a month or so but life keeps getting in my way. So I will be prioritizing this book by reading it for the Merlin prompt.
- King Arthur — Read a book featuring royalty.- To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo
I purchased this book in December and it has been sitting on my shelf collecting dust. I thought it was time to break it out!
- Sir Lancelot (Arthur’s greatest companion) — Read a book from a favourite author.- Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky #2) by Veronica Rossi
I really enjoyed Veronica Rossi so this was the first book I though of for this prompt. I have the e-book version but I have ordered a used paperback version. My eyes get screen tired with my new contacts and I do not want any excuse to not finish my reading list!
- Sir Gawain (Known as the Green Knight) — Read a book with the colour green on the cover or in the title.- Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper #1) by Kerri Maniscalco
This is another book I bought in the winter and have heard good reviews on. I have a bit of a true crime obsession and have watched too many shows about theories on who Jack the Ripper was. I hope this book is delightfully mysterious.
- Sir Percival (the original hero in the quest for the Grail) — Read a book with a shiny cover.- Ever Worlds by K.A. Applegate
This is a book my fiance picked out for me, our taste is not always the same but when he said it has the greek gods in it I was sold.
- Sir Bors (Arthur’s successor) — Read a sequel.- The Testaments (The Handmaid’s Tale #2) by Margaret Atwood OR Vampire Knights volume 2 or Science Fair Crisis (DC Comics: Secret Hero Society #4) (4) by Derek Fridolfs
For one of my previous readathons I read the handmaids Tale so my go to for this prompt is The Testaments. However, given my current health I am giving myself the option to swap this heavier book with the Vampire Knights or Secret Hero Society sequels. If I feel particularly energetic I may go for all three.
- Sir Lamorak (one of the best knights but overlooked in the chivalric romance genre) — Read a book you think is under-hyped.- Study Hall of Justice (DC Comics: Secret Hero Society #1)
I read this book in grad school while on public transit for an hour. I usually do not read DC comic but I feel like this book does not get the attention it deserves. I hope to re read it and perhaps get to the sequels soon! The series is five books in total.
- Sir Kay (Arthur’s foster brother) — Read a book with a significant sibling relationship.-Wolverine Origin by Jenkins, Kubert and Isanove
I purchased this graphic novel of Wolverine when I was in college as a short read between writing papers. The small business owner who sold me the book thought it was an odd choice, but went along with it knowing I was one of the new nerdy students on campus. I would now like to re-read this book specifically with the lens for the relationship between Wolverine and his half brother Sabertooth.
- Sir Gareth (the youngest knight) — Read a recent addition to your TBR.- Fort Solitude (DC Comics: Secret Hero Society #2) (2)
The Secret Hero Society books were brought back to my attention and re-added to my TBR after I received a box of books I had been storing in my ex fiance’s basement for the past four years. I will be reading or leaving myself the option to read several books from this series. They are more of a Manga than a book, however I am trying to keep more of an open mind with the DC comic universe as I focus a lot of my attention on Marvel.
- Sir Bedivere (returns Excalibur to Nimue) — Read a book with something pointy on the cover.- Vampire Knight volume 1 by Matsuri Hino
This is another manga I picked up from the small local business near my undergraduate program. It was something I picked up as a quick read while I was waiting on a medical appointment to start. I really want to give this book and it’s sequels more attention as they do have a good plot.
- Sir Galahad (“the most perfect of all knights”) — Read a book with a title that starts with a “G”.- The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter
One of my roommates let me borrow her copy of this book in college and I liked it. The series lost my attention for a while because half are paperbacks and half are e-book only. I now have access to the electronic omnibus and would like to re-read the whole series in order including the e-book only portions.
- Sir Tristan (falls in love with Isolde) — Read a book with a romance that should be legendary.- Startrek the next generation Imzadi by Peter David
I ended up seeing this and purchasing it at a comic book shop that also sold used nerdy books. It has been sitting in my TBR since 2015. Grad school left me little room for reading. However, I have no excuse to not read about the epic but tumultuous relationship between Deanna and Will. On screen they are good friends and there is tension. The only story of their romance is in the books or the movies. I am excited to delve in!
- Sir Gaheris (“the least well spoken of all his peers”) — Listen to an audiobook or read part of a story aloud.- Detention of Doom (DC Comics: Secret Hero Society #3) (3) by Derek Fridolfs
I am giving myself the option of reading this manga which I bought used, or listing to something through the public library as an audiobook. I wanted a place holder on my list. My public library is changing who offers their audiobooks as of tomorrow so I am unsure what titles will be available to me.
- Camelot — Read a book set in a place you’ve never visited. – The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab OR Other Words for Home by Jasmine Warga
I received The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue from a friend for Christmas, thank you! I have heard it can be a heavy read so I am leaving myself the option to read this book which is set in France.
My second option is another book I am purchasing used, Other Words from Home. It is a graphic or light novel written bu a woman of color. The setting is in Syria. I realized many of my manga choices were written by men and my books are written by white women. I want to change my reading habits to be more inclusive. Really I want to change the way I consume media in general.
Wish me luck dear readers and I will be giving you weekly recaps and book reviews soon! I will likely be starting with the prompt for Merlin then moving to some of the manga/light novels and saving heavier reads for weekends.